If you’re self-isolating at home, well done. But there’s no need to say goodbye to your gains just because you’re staying indoors. This weighted backpack workout has your back.
If you’re looking to work out, but unable to make your way to the gym, don’t worry. We have you covered.
It’s no secret that most backpackers would rather be outside than in the gym. That’s where this ultra-portable workout comes in: All you really need is your backpack, a little space, and the desire to climb higher, go farther, and see more of what this world has to offer.
If you’re ready to get started, grab a 30 to 50L pack, fill it with books, gear, or a few well-sealed water bottles (make sure your pack is well balanced), and put these moves to the test. To keep everything from jostling around during exercise, fill the excess space with a few heavy sweatshirts or a blanket — it won’t add much weight, but will keep your back balanced and steady.
- Movement – Weighted Backpack Squats
- Recommended Reps – 15 to 25 per set
- Number of Sets – 5
- Rest between sets – 60 Seconds
Body Parts Targeted
Glutes, Quads, hamstrings, Core
- Fill backpack with weight and wear it as you would normally
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart
- Stretch your arms out in front of your for balance
- Bend your knees outward and lower yourself down to a 90 degree angle (parallel)
- Stand back up
- If you’re looking for more of a challenge, feel free to sink below parallel on each rep. You’ll really feel the burn in your glutes.
- Great for developing leg strength for heavy squats.